Our History

Cheek Memorial Baptist Church began as Friendship Baptist Mission, composed of Mr. J.D. Fulgum and Mr. W.F. Cheek, Associational Missionary of Friendship Baptist Association.  The first meeting was held April 5, 1953, in the upstairs of an old house of Mr. Hobart Brown's with 18 present.  Rev. Cheek passed away on July 24, 1953, but not before he laid the first block of the foundation. Cheek Memorial Baptist Church, named in memory Rev. Cheek, was constituted on December 6, 1953, with 34 charter members. The original church and pastorium were later sold and land purchased on the Macon Road. In May of 1964 work began on this building.  The first service was on December 20, 1964.  The annex was constructed in 1977.  On January 17, 1993, our church burned mortgage notes, dating back to 1966. A major renovation project for our main building was done in 1997. In 2007, a tornado devastated the church causing significant damage to the sanctuary, social hall and Sunday school rooms.  Through the process of rebuilding, the Lord provided immeasurably and we were able to renovate and enlarge the social hall, add a new steeple, provide handicap accessibility throughout the church, update our upstairs Sunday school rooms and our sound room and enlarge our parking area. We know the Lord has great

things in store for our church.